Saturday, June 5, 2010

Welcome to our Season Of Lost

Vlad and I chose to describe this Summer 2010 as our Season of "LOST"...not because we feel lost but because we have found that by becoming fans of the popular TV season series "LOST", we have found one way to relax, take a break, and keep things light and fun. We are watching the "LOST" episodes via Netflix online. Its been a great escape for both of us. Season 1 got us through the Diagnosis phase...Season 2 and 3 will get us through the Chemo Phase.

This is going to an extraordinary journey where there will be moments of feeling lost, but there will also be times of celebration and moving forward: Like Jan 1 when Vlad found the cancer. Like March 26th when Vlad finally forced me to do something about it. Like May 10th when I found out I don't have the mutated gene for breast and ovarian cancer. Like May 18th when I finally got the nausea medication after surgery (better late than never)! Like June 1 when I got the drain removed. Like June 3, when the battle call was blown and herceptin and chemo drugs were poured into my port so that they could get started killing that nasty cancer. And like today! It's day 3 after chemo treatment #1 and I am still feeling good: no nausea...no fevers, no mouth sores. My bones hurt a bit, but I think I can handle that. I'm ready for Day 13 with wigs, scarves, cool hats and a fun red turban. I can't wait until September for our "Get Lost In the Buff" party to celebrate the end of the Chemo Phase and the beginning of the next "LOST" season.

The other great news is that I convinenced Vlad to continue as planned with his diving trip to Beaufort this weekend. He has been the most wonderful, loving partner in this journey so far. From changing bandages, to unplugging drains, to doctor's visits, to taking documentary photopraphs.....to opening a blog for me. I am so fortunate to have him...I will never feel lost with Vlad. I hope when he returns on Sunday we can upload some of his underwater diving shots.

I also have to mention how supportive and helpful my Mom has been to me. She has been there right along the way, stepping in when needed, always lending a helping hand, and offering a thoughtful gift. She recently completed her own serious surgery and is moving rapidly through her own recovery, already dropping 20 pounds. Best of all: no more acid reflux.

And of course I can't name all of our many friends and other family members who are sending me good thoughts and energy. Keep it coming!

What I need most from all is as much normalcy and sense of humor as possible. We have not lost our way or our summer...we are just a little off track. But we will get right back on our preferred road of diving, chasing waterfalls, and enjoying the lighter side of living.

2 comments:

  1. WOW,

    This is a eally nice post!!
    I didn't realized I was that good. I am glad to be helpfull and I alays be there when you need me and eespecially when you don't nee me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine: I write to you with love and care in my heart. I did not know you were going through this, but now that I do, I will hold you gently in my thoughts through the days and nights ahead. I would love to see you. I know your determination in other aspects of your life, so I am sure your positive energy is working hand-in-hand with your determination to seek healing and recovery. Please know I send my love to you, and warm wished to Vlad. He still makes the best Mojito's ever. Ann Cowperthwaite

    ReplyDelete