Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fluid Memories Celebrates Saba


Besides getting back onto my bike and filling my calendar with visits with friends and family instead of visits to see white coats in giant medicine cabinets, I am looking forward to the trip that never was: I’ll call it the Saba Sacrifice. Back in June Vlad and I were supposed to go with our friends Mark and Lynn and David and Gayland to Saba, a small tropical island across from Saint Somewhere. It’s a diver’s paradise and boasts the shortest commercial runway in the world. I remember sitting across from Mark and Lynn on a cold, dreary winter night at Haru, one of our favorite restaurants eating sushi and laughing about our latest West Coast dance lesson fiasco. Wanting to move on to something more enticing, Mark brought up the idea to plan our next diving vacation. Encouraged by our mutual desire for exotic adventure and incredible diving, Mark came up with the suggestion to go to Saba. He did all the planning: from finding the airline tickets and dive operator, to scoring a great deal on an incredible villa in the hilltops of this dormant volcanic island. The plan was to dive each day and buy local food to prepare our meals together. Lynn and I dreamed about all the fresh fruits and vegetables, Mark talked about the fresh seafood, and Vlad went wild about the mojitos. The villa was spacious enough that each couple would have their own bedroom and bathroom. It also had an outdoor pool that included a breathtaking view of the blue-green Caribbean waters. By December we were booked and ready to go. Then BAM! Breast cancer hit me. I told Mark, Lynn and Vlad I didn’t care. I was going to Saba regardless. Then BAM! The reality of breast cancer treatment hit me harder. Sometime in late May I recall making the awful decision not to go. It was a terrible realization of what I would have to give up in order to get better. After getting over the shock of the Saba Sacrifice, Vlad and I decided never to look back. We were happy our friends would carry on and pave the way for an even grander trip back to Saba.

A couple of weeks ago Mark and Lynn had us over for an incredible dinner and to share with us what they encountered at Saba. From their arrival to their departure, it was a magical adventure. The diving was spectacular and the ambiance of the island unforgettable. Saba is definitely worth waiting for. Here is their incredible video that gives a glimpse of what we are looking forward to when we finally get to take the trip that never was (just hit the arrow below):



2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great gift for you both! I'm sure you both felt a poignant twang as you watched what could have been. I know you look forward to another try next season.

    Mom/Arleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see next year's video of you and Vlad sipping mojitos overlooking a magnificent sunset, tired but immensely happy after a long dive off Saba!

    love, Scott

    ReplyDelete