Monday, July 5, 2010

Apple Pie Time

After a holiday weekend of debauchery, I've
successfully put lost pounds back on. Thanks, Mom, for making your legendary apple pie. Vlad and I have been steadily enjoying it a la mode. I don't think a better apple pie exists.






















Our long weekend started with a buzz cut. Yep! I finally took the plunge and had my head shaved. Did you know 40% of your body heat escapes through your head? Instant air conditioning effect for the summer. I asked Sheila to experiment with different shaving patterns, but ultimately opted to go completely buff.


















On Saturday, Vlad and I took advantage of a rare, Carolina summer morning with 70 degree temps to plant a pair of rhododendrons he picked up from Home Depot for 24 dollars.

It was a monumental task to dig holes for these gigantic specimens.




















I got off easy as the water support girl. Vlad was sore from head to toe the next day, but the effort was worth it. Cross your fingers that these shade tolerant, moisture loving plants will survive the water and soil challenged backyard landscape. The deep shade may be their only hope.




Hey Zoe and Radu....believe it or not, we have been making progress on the sea of Monkey Grass. We have added five rows. We have run out of raw material and have to go pick up more next weekend. I told Vlad that there was NO way we couldn't finish what you started before you came back to visit. The roots! Oh my! What a hard job. I cannot believe what you both endured to get so many rows planted.






Saturday night we went to the annual fireworks display at Lake Benson. We packed pork sandwiches, pickles, and spinach salad. We were joined by friends who contributed to the picnic with their own favorites. As always, the fireworks were captured beautifully through Vlad's photographs. We all had a great time and look forward to next year's annual pilgrimage to Lake Benson. Traditions really do pull people together. They are a positive, organizing principal of life.





Today is day ten from treatment and the last day of our long holiday weekend. I actually slept through the night and woke up feeling refreshed. After a 10 miler on the stationary bike I am feeling the best I have all weekend. I still have this slick chemical taste in my mouth, but overall I am feeling much stronger. Vlad and I plan to take it easy. We may skoot over to the Farmers Market and then to my place for some pool time. I'm looking forward to the salata de vinete, shrimp, and grilled fresh vegetables we will share together this evening--along with a slice of apple pie, of course.

I'll end this post with some cactus flowers currently in bloom in Vlad's ever growing collection.




















or about to be....................







1 comment:

  1. Glad the apple pie tasted good. Yes, its a great recipe, but Tarah told me about one that has jalapeno peppers in it. Sounds intriquing. I'll give it a try next time.

    Vlad, the cactus pictures are beautiful.. If you ever get tired of working with computers, you are a shoo-in for nature photography. Bravo!

    Mom/Arleen

    ReplyDelete